Message from Sunday Evening, October 28. 2018
A Plan for the Future
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Acts 9:31 So the church throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.
It is now in God’s timing for us to be creative and courageous in implementing more significant changes in order to regain our momentum in Bible Study attendance, growth, and outreach.” Perry Sanders, A Forward Vision, November, 2004.
We will begin a new Sunday morning schedule on January 6, 2019.
8:15 a.m. Early Worship
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
10:45 a.m. Worship
Why This Schedule?
- It gives us the best possible use of human resources (teachers, greeters, choir members, etc.) by having one Sunday School hour.
- It is of great benefit to our Youth – it will also help children and college but is particularly valuable to our Youth Ministry.
- Two services still allow some options in time and style of worship.
- There will obviously be some combining of Sunday School classes as we merge three hours into one hour.
- An advantage of this schedule is that if you need to change your worship hour for one or a few Sundays, you do not have to change Sunday School classes.
- The 8:15 a.m. worship service will include piano, organ, a small choir or ensemble, and feature hymns and traditional elements.
- The 10:45 a.m. worship service will include choir, orchestra, band and Praise Team, with more contemporary music.
To summarize, we anticipate that the 8:15 a.m. service will be more traditional than our existing 9:45 a.m. service. We also anticipate that the 10:45 a.m. service will be more contemporary than the existing 9:45 a.m. service, but less contemporary than the existing 11:11 a.m. service.
- Do we have enough space? Yes. We will adapt some room assignments for this. We hope, however, as a result of this change in schedule, to have a space problem down the road as we grow.
- When does it start? Sunday, January 6, 2019.
- Will it work? Yes, but not by itself. We need you to support it, be flexible and patient. We are doing this because we are seeking ways to grow, to lead more people to Christ, to involve more people in Bible Study and Worship.