EPHESIANS: The Christian’s New Clothes: Truthfulness
The Christian’s New Clothes: Truthfulness
- I. T.—Truthfulness characterizes the new creation.
- I. S.—Since we are saved, we must be truthful.
Purpose—To confront falsehood in the Christian’s life.
Introduction— Illus. “A Little White Church Cake Lie”
- Truthfulness is Christlike.
- Having Put off
- This refers to an already completed action of removing the old way of life.
- Points back to 4:22—taking off the old man
- Having Put off
- This also assumes we have put on the new man, who is Christ.
- Liars Passages—see below
- The lost pagan life is controlled by the author of lies, Satan, and is characterized by falsehood and deceitfulness.
- These include anything that attempts to deceive: lies, flattery, embellishment, and cheating.
- Truth passages—see below
- All truth is God’s truth if it is true.
- It is God’s make up, his message, and his mandate.
- What’s the difference between a saved life and a lost life? Truth
- Christians seek to be as Christ, and thus must begin with truth.
- Truthfulness is Commanded.
- Command not to lie—Exodus 20
- Command to speak truth
- Command to surrender to Christ.
- Why do we lie?
- Protect ourselves—David Lied to Priests at Nob
- Permit sin—Serpent to Eve
- Cover/Hide Sin—Cain to God
- To promote oneself—Amalekite to David
- To Protect Others—Michal for David
- Each lie is because of a lack of trust in the Lordship of Christ.
- Why do we lie?
- We feel that we must take matters into our own hands.
- —1 John 2:4
- Jesus commands us to be truthful.
- If we refuse to obey his commands, we sin and are in deep trouble.
- Truthfulness is Caring.
- Refers to all around us in general.
- Jesus tells the parable of the Good Samaritan to describe our neighbors.
- Refers to the interlocking help of community.
- Generally those upon whom we rely.
- Specifically other Christians.
- —1 Corinthians 12:26
- If you care any about those around you, you will be honest and truthful.
- Lies do nothing but hurt and destroy.
- That is why Satan is the Father of Lies.
- Do lies work?
- David’s led to the slaying of the priests
- Satan’s led to sin in the world
- Cain’s led to his rejection and banishment
- The Amalekite’s led to his death
- Michal was given to another husband
- Luke 12:2-3
- What will solve falsehood?
- John 8:32—The Truth
- We must trust the Sovereignty of God to set us free.
- Greatest lie is when we lie to ourselves about our salvation or to justify our sin.
John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father 's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies.
Jeremiah 9:3 They bent their tongues like their bows; lies and not faithfulness prevail in the land, for they proceed from one evil to another, and they do not take me into account. This is the LORD 's declaration. 4 Everyone has to be on guard against his friend. Don't trust any brother, for every brother will certainly deceive, and every friend spread slander. 5 Each one betrays his friend; no one tells the truth. They have taught their tongues to speak lies; they wear themselves out doing wrong.
Revelation 22:15 Outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
John 3:33 The one who has accepted his testimony has affirmed that God is true.
John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. 17 He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive him because it doesn't see him or know him. But you do know him, because he remains with you and will be in you.
John 17:17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
John 4:23 But an hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and in truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship him.
1 John 2:4 The one who says, "I have come to know him," and yet doesn't keep his commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1 Corinthians 12:26 So if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
Luke 12:2 There is nothing covered that won't be uncovered, nothing hidden that won't be made known. 3 Therefore, whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in an ear in private rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.
John 8:32 You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
A Little White Church Cake Lie!
Alice was to bake a cake for the church ladies' group bake sale, but she forgot to do it until the last minute. She baked an angel food cake and when she took it from the oven, the center had dropped flat. She said, "Oh dear, there's no time to bake another cake." So, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of the cake. Alice found it in the bathroom ... a roll of toilet paper. She plunked it in and covered it with icing. The finished product looked beautiful, so she rushed it to the church. Before she left the house, Alice had given her daughter some money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the minute it opened, and to buy that cake and bring it home. When the daughter arrived at the sale, the attractive cake had already been sold. Alice was beside herself. The next day, Alice was invited to a friend's home where two tables of bridge were to be played that afternoon. After the game, a fancy lunch was served, and to top it off, the cake in question was presented for dessert. Alice saw the cake, she started to get out of her chair to rush into the kitchen to tell her hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, one of the other ladies said, "What a beautiful cake!" Alice sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (who was a prominent church member) say, "Thank you, I baked it myself."